What is School Council?
Our School Council is a group of democratically elected pupils who meet regularly to discuss relevant issues to the school and community. There are two children elected from each class who attend the meetings as ‘the voice’ for their class. These students are known as the Class Representatives. Within this group of children there are further elections for the role of Chairperson, Deputy Chairperson, Secretary and Public Relations Officer (PRO). Each of the electives has their own responsibilities for the running of the meetings and events.
The meetings are split into Upper Phase (run by Kate) and Lower Phase (run by Ashleigh).
Those students elected as Class Representatives are expected to share the ideas of their classes as well as disseminate the information from the meetings: this might be to their classes, in assemblies or via the School Council information board.
Anyone who has ideas for discussion can speak to their Class Representative, use the suggestion box located by the main office, or via email to email@example.com
Our achievements for 2015 – 2016
School council had a lot of fun and worked extremely hard last year. Here are just a few things we got up to…
- Continued to use our School Council email as a way for you to contact us
- Ran stalls to raise fund for the school at FOK events including the Summer Barbecue and Christmas Fair
- Helped review the Anti-bullying policy
- Met with Liz and our the Head Chef to share the feedback from our questionnaires about school dinners. Suggestions were taken on and improvements were made; children are very happy with the wider variety of lunch choices. Children are aware that they need to keep the noise level down in the dinner hall and this has continued to work well for both children and staff.
- We went around and asked children what they liked about our school and what could be improved – we fed this back to classes and staff. More equipment has been added in the playground at lunchtimes because of your feedback. We are proud of our Art Room, fun lessons and kind teachers.
- Year 6 and Year 5 Class Representatives met the Mayor’s wife (in absence of the Mayor) and Young Mayor of Lewisham to find out about the role of the Mayor and how this relates to what we do in School Council.
- Met the School Governors to talk about the role of School Council and how we could share children’s thoughts about learning in the school.
- Organised and hosted the KS2 ‘Kilmorie’s Got Talent’ Show. We also had representatives as part of the judging panel; it was a tough job judging as we have so many talented children in our school, but we managed to find a winner!