What is School Council?
Our School Council is a group of democratically elected pupils who meet regularly to discuss relevant issues to the school and community. There are two children elected from each class who attend the meetings as ‘the voice’ for their class. These students are known as the Class Representatives. Within this group of children in the upper phase there are further elections for the role of Chairperson, Deputy Chairperson, Secretary and Public Relations Officer (PRO). Each of the electives has their own responsibilities for the running of the meetings and events.
The meetings are split into Upper Phase (run by Kate) and Lower Phase (run by Ashleigh).
Those students elected as Class Representatives are expected to share the ideas of their classes as well as disseminate the information from the meetings: this might be to their classes, in assemblies or via the School Council information board.
Anyone who has ideas for discussion can speak to their Class Representative, use the suggestion box located by the main office, or via email to email@example.com
Our achievements for 2016 – 2017
School council had a lot of fun and worked extremely hard last year in a number of areas of the school. All members of the council were asked to sign contracts regarding their conduct around the school and all of them represented their classmates and the school really well. In the upper phase there were two sets of school council representatives, who were changed half way through the academic year.
Here are just a few things we got up to…
- Continued to use our School Council email as a means of contact
- Ran a stall to raise funds for the school at the Friends of Kilmorie Summer Barbeque
- Worked on a child-friendly version of the Anti-bullying policy
- Conducted a questionnaire on the lunchtime playground provision
- Surveyed a number of children about sport within the school, including what they liked best and suggestions of how to improve it further
- We also took feedback from children about how safe they feel in different areas of the school
- Organised inter year group sports competitions for upper phase classes
- Year 6 class representatives met the Mayor (Sir Steve Bullock) and the Young Mayor of Lewisham to find out about the role of the Mayor and how this relates to what we do in School Council
- Worked closely with the Friends of Kilmorie on fundraising ideas
- Added an event into the sports day schedule that helped raise money for the chosen School council charity, Barnardo’s – we raised a wonderful £683. Please look out for more events coming next year!
- Made a film that was shared in assembly and at parents evenings about our chosen charity
- Organised and hosted the KS2 ‘Kilmorie’s Got Talent’ Show. There was a guest appearance from Leela (Friends of Kilmorie Chair) who made a fabulous judge. We also had representatives as part of the judging panel; it was a tough job judging as we have so many talented children in our school, but we managed to find some winners!